An independent review of 3 leading brands – Arlo, Ring & Nest
Having a security camera in your home can provide peace of mind and help you keep an eye on things when you’re not there. But with so many different home security cameras on the market, it can be hard to know which one is right for you. We have therefore reviewed the 3 best home security cameras you should consider.
We’ve researched to find the best home security cameras, so you can choose the one that’s right for your needs. Whether you’re looking for something simple to set up or something with more advanced features, we’ve got you covered.
Feel secure in the knowledge that you can keep an eye on your property, even when you are not around. Choosing the best home security cameras for your needs is essential.
We have reviewed 3 leading brands, providing an independent review of each product range.
Arlo indoor or outdoor video cameras
The Arlo Video Camera is a great option for those who are looking for a wireless security camera with advanced features. This camera can be easily set up and accessed from your smartphone or tablet, and it offers motion detection, night vision, and audio recording.
Arlo has a large product range that meets most home security requirements and is considered one of the best home security cameras
- Easily set up and accessed from your smartphone or tablet
- Good battery life
- Weather resistant
- An additional solar panel is available to remove the need to recharge
- Motion detection and colour night vision
- Live streaming from a smart device
- Custom activity zone
- Panic button to sound siren on all devices
- HD Recording options (motion activated or constant)
- See and speak to people anywhere in the world (two-way conversation)
- Easy to install, simply attach to bracket design
- Security chain accessory available to protect the device
- Notifications to a smart device through Arlo App alerts
- Wi-Fi or Cellular connections
- Cost-effective cloud storage options
- Noise Cancelling technology
- Integrates with the Arlo doorbell
- Share video content with friends and family
- Limited home automation
- Can lose connections (occasionally)
- Versions requiring a Smart Hub require an ethernet connection
Verdict on Arlo: Perfect for non- technical person, with limited DIY abilities. Simple to setup and use
Ring indoor or outdoor security cameras
The Ring Security Camera is a great option and one of the best home security cameras for those who are looking for a wireless security camera that is easy to set up.
This camera is simple to set up and accessed from your smartphone or tablet, and it offers motion detection and night vision. The cameras are accessed from your smartphone or tablet and Integrates with the Ring doorbell.
The Ring Security Camera is a great option for those who are looking for a wireless security camera that is easy to configure. This camera can be accessed from your smartphone or tablet, and it offers motion detection and night vision.
The Ring solution integrates seamlessly with the Ring Doorbell and is considered one of the best home security cameras available.
- Forms part of an integrated home security solution
- Offers 24/ 7 remote monitoring option (US & Canada only)
- Alerts on your phone or tablet when the camera detects motion.
- HD Recording options (motion activated or constant)
- See and speak to people anywhere in the world
- HD video recording and night vision
- Home automation features and integrations
- Environmental monitoring
- User-friendly mobile App
- Alexa integration
- Share videos and content with friends and family
- Lack of advanced video quality resolutions
- Historic privacy/hacking issues
- Can miss some motion detection
Verdict on Ring: Perfect addition to a Ring Doorbell, suited for slightly more techie-minded who may wish to integrate with other systems. The integration capabilities ensures the Ring solution is one of the best home security cameras available.
Nest indoor and outdoor security cameras
Nest security cameras are a good option for those who are looking for a wired security camera with advanced features. This camera can be easily set up and accessed from your smartphone or tablet, and it offers motion detection, night vision, and audio recording, this makes the Nest one of the best home security cameras.
Nest security cameras form part of an integrated home security solution that offers 24/ 7 remote monitoring as an option. Get alerts on your phone or tablet when the camera detects motion. HD Recording options (motion activated or constant) See and speak to people anywhere in the world.
Nest models have some powerful tools, and is therefore considered one of the best home security cameras
- HD quality recording that operates both night and day
- Well-designed and waterproof to protect against all-weather types
- Easy to install (indoor version)
- Good connection (due to wired)
- Facial Recognition
- Connects to Google Assistant
- Supersite technology can track someone as they move
- Can be tricky to install externally
- Heavier than competitors
- Wired not wireless so may not be suitable for all deployments
- Speak and listening can be laggy
Verdict on Nest: Requires DIY skills to install, powerful tools that can track movement and use facial recognition. Suited for someone requiring a professional setup. Nevertheless, this is one of the best home security cameras on the market.
When considering the best home security cameras our natural focus was to assess the 3 leading brands. Nest, Arlo, and Ring are all very popular wireless security camera bands with multiple options available to suit most budgets. They all offer similar features that can make it difficult to decide which one is the best for your needs. There are however some differences between the bands, which are highlighted below:
- Facial recognition
- 24/7 live streaming
- Google Assistant compatible
- 4K sensor
Arlo Pro Series:
- 130-degree viewing angle
- Precision night vision
- Panic alarm function
- Integrated LED lights and torch
- Environmental monitoring feature that can measure carbon monoxide etc.
- Good integration to home security systems
- User-friendly App
Whilst protecting your home, check out the best ways to protect yourself from cyber criminals
Continuous cyber-attacks on a plethora of well-known businesses that compromise customers personal and financial data serves as a pertinent reminder of the risk of putting your data online and the sophisticated measures today’s criminals are taking.